February 6th, 2023
In The Neighborhood - Stookey's Club Moderne
Stookey’s Club Moderne is one of our favorite evening hangouts near the hotel. The quaint space located on the corner of Bush and Taylor, just 3½ blocks from Stanford Court, is always buzzing. Here’s some news and info related to one of our favorite partners in the Nob Hill neighborhood.
Stookey’s Blue Room News
The club is currently building out an addition to its space, which is being dubbed the Blue Room. It is estimated to be completed in May 2023. (Sketch by H. Lynn Harrison)
Stookey's Specialty Whiskey Tasting
Stookey's is hosting a whiskey tasting and will be tasting through three different batches of cask-strength Elijah Craig bourbon. This experience will be curated by Nick White, of Heaven Hill Distillery. After the tasting, guests will enjoy a Pikesville Rye old-fashioned cocktail (full-sized).
When: Sunday, March 26th, 3:30-4:30pm
Where: Stookey's Club Moderne
A limited number of bottles will also be made available for purchase under COVID-19 emergency rules.
Sign up for a reservation here, or just show up!
Jazz Thursdays at Stookey’s
Most weeks, Stookey’s offers live jazz trios and quartets starting at 8:30pm and the cover is $10 at the door (Click here for more info and tickets). Here are some of the upcoming headliners:
- Mr. Lucky & The Cocktail Party – Thursday, February 9th
- The Jessica King Quartet – Thursday, February 16th
- Clint Baker & His Hot Four – Thursday, February 23rd
- The Don Neely Trio – Thursday, March 2nd
- The Jessica King Quartet – Thursday, March 9th
- George Cole Trio – Thursday, March 16th
- Clint Baker & His Hot Four – Thursday, March 23rd
- The Pine Street Ramblers – Thursday, March 30th
- Alcatraz Islanders – Thursday, April 6th
- The Don Neely Trio – Thursday, April 13th
- Clint Baker & His Hot Four – Thursday, April 27th
The Lion's Tail was first documented in 1937 within The Café Royal Cocktail Book, but it's thought to originate earlier (perhaps during Prohibition). The book was published in London, but the thinking is that the drink was invented by an American. The reason is the cocktail's name refers to: "don't twist the lion's tail" which is a 19th Century American saying to remind US leaders not to provoke the British. (The lion is in the British royal coat of arms). (via Liquor.com)
- 2 oz. bourbon
- ½ oz. Lime Juice
- ½ oz. Allspice Dram
- 1 bar spoon Simple Syrup (2:1 sugar to water)
- 2 dashes Angostura
Stookey's Private Events
Just a reminder -- Stookey's Club Moderne is available for private parties and the team can also bring our cocktails to your next event or party! Email the Stookey's team for more information or questions.