October 22nd, 2016
Fleet Week 2016 Events
With the end of summer, most people think that the fun ends. In San Francisco the fall is one of the busiest and most exciting times with fun fairs, events, and the popular Fleet Week. San Francisco Fleet Week began in 1981 when then Mayor Dianne Feinstein led the nation in celebrating America’s sea services.
Taking place every October on the Marina Green over Italian Heritage Weekend, SFFW’s air show, parade of ships and many community events have become a significant and integral part of the city’s local culture and economy.
As the largest and most significant event of its kind in the nation, SFFW features a unique training and education program that brings together civilian and military forces to develop and share best practices in humanitarian assistance.
Consistently attracting millions of visitors, creating important and lasting relationships for its partners, and generating over $10M in annual revenue for the city, SFFW is now recognized by the United States Department of Defense as the model for fleet weeks across the country.
San Francisco Fleet Week is an annual public event that honors the contributions of the men and women of the United States Armed Forces while advancing cooperation and knowledge among civilian- and military-based Humanitarian Assistance personnel.
Here is the best way to enjoy the festivities:
Fleet Week 2016 Schedule:
- Thursday, October 6: Blue Angels Survey Flights (1pm – 5pm)
- Friday, October 7: Air Show (12pm – 4pm)
- Saturday, October 8: Air Show (12pm – 4pm)
- Sunday, October 9: Air Show (12pm – 4pm)
- Purchase tickets to the Marina Greens box seat here
- Set up a picnic in Alta Plaza Park facing north
- Head to Off the Grid on Sunday, October 9 in the Presidio for food and great views
- Drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and stop at the look outpoint